Monday, August 15, 2011

Teddy Bear Quilt

Gardening has taken over my sewing time, but I managed to finish this baby quilt.  This was a challenge quilt.  we were given the brown fabric and challenged to use all of it in a quilt.  I had a cute pattern from McCall's sewing patterns.  I don't usually buy patterns that are in the fashion book, but they were on sale and I had it stashed away in my sewing closet.
I wasn't happy with the pattern.  Most quilts give you instructions on how many blocks to cut and what sizes etc.  This pattern gave you pattern pieces printed on the thin tissue paper.  It made the job much harder.  I started using the pieces and realized that it would be easier to just measure the squares and use the rotary cutter and ruler to make the blocks.  This took extra time, but was much more accurate.  The rest of the pieces were applique and I traced them onto some fusible webbing.

This would be a really easy quilt to copy and use as a background and change the teddy bear design and add anything you like.  I used Pink Chenille for the flower blocks and some cuddle fabric for the muzzle.  You could use all kinds of texture fabric or felt if you wanted.  I think it turned out cute.  I love the bees.   The pattern called for small buttons, but I don't believe buttons should be on any quilt that is given to children.  It is just to much of a risk for choking.  Sew the eyes with embroidery thread.

The florescent lights changed the colors a bit.  It is a pretty pink, green and yellow pastel quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment