Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

We have beautiful weather today for all the little trick or treaters.  We don't usually have many, but because the weather is so nice, I better go buy some more candy.

Speaking of candy, I have sworn off eating sugar today.  I started my morning with a Green Juice.  I also made enough for the entire day.  Today, I am fasting from food and drinking just this juice.  Why?  Because it will help set me up for a good week of eating healthy and keep me committed, and keep me from eating sugar. 

Don't let the color fool you, it tastes great.

Green Juice Recipe

12 red, yellow, and green apples, organic and not peeled
1 meyer lemon peeled
a dozen fresh dug carrots from my garden, unpeeled
1 chunk of ginger root, 1 1/2 inch cube
1 bunch of kale
Juice in a juice extractor and enjoy at room temperature


Here are a collection of decorating photos.

Happy Halloween!


My Daughter, Liz grew this pumpkin then carved it like this!  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr


I will leave you with this Fall Casserole that is quick easy, and very yummy.

Polenta Chili Casserole
6 cups water
2 cups corn grit, (or meal - not flour)
1 tsp of salt as desired
Bring water to a boil and slowly stir in corn grit.  Stir frequently to keep from burning as it cooks.  Lower heat and cook till tender.  Grit will take up to 30 minutes, Meal is quicker.  When corn is thick and tender remove from heat and pour into a baking dish, (spray with pam).  Let cool while you prepare the veggies.

1 cup of green  bell pepper, diced
1 cup of sweet onions, diced
1 cup of fresh tomato, diced
2 package of Madras Lentils, or your favorite chili
Shredded cheese to taste
You can use a larger casserole for this recipe.  Here is the polenta grits in a smaller casserole (half)

I added two packages of the Madras lentils on top (Vegan) but you can use any chili or bean from a can.
Add the chopped peppers and onions
Top with the tomatoes and put in the microwave for 25-30 minutes depending on the size of the casserole.
Top with shredded cheese if desired and return to microwave to melt.  Serve with a little cilantro and sour cream to garnish.  Yummmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment