Monday, October 3, 2011

So Corny

The weather is going to change this week and temperatures will drop.  Fruits and Veggies will quit growing soon and that makes me a little sad.  One thing is for sure, I have been preserving lots of food for the winter.  I almost feel like a squirrel.

I didn't get any cobs on my corn in my garden this year.  My corn didn't develop the kernels properly.  I have had this happen before, and I think I will just give up on the corn.  There are so many farms around me that have wonderful corn, it seems silly for me to try to grow it anymore.  So in honor of this new found knowledge, I had my hubby Craig buy me a case of corn.

I shucked the corn and then froze it so it will be  ready to eat all winter.  If you have never frozen corn before, here are some easy directions for freezing corn -off the cob.

Shuck the corn and take as much silk as possible off each cob.  Set it next to the stove, and have a pot of boiling water ready.  (a large pot works great for a large batch)


Blanch the corn in boiling water for 6-8 minutes. 


Then remove quickly and plunge into Ice Cold Water.


I use a screw in a piece of wood to hold the corn cob while I cut it off.  There are other implements to help get the corn off the husk, but this is my favorite. (I use a little piece of rubber shelf mat to keep it from sliding)

This is another tool you can buy to remove the kernels, but it really smashes them, not my favorite way.

I place a large piece of wax paper over the screw so when the corn is cut off, it is easier to gather.  Using an electric knife, I slice down the corn in strips.  Turn the cob and cut another strip all around till all the corn is removed.  Remember to be careful of your fingers if you hold the top of the cob.  You can use a regular sharp knife, but the electric knife makes quick work.


You will have this when you are done. 

If you like creamy corn, then take a butter knife and scrape down the cob to remove all the remaining juice and kernels.

That's all there is to it.  You will have a bowl of corn kernels that you can freeze any way you like.  You can purchase plastic containers, or ziplock freezer bags, or use a foodsaver to vacuum pack your corn.  

If you like, you can spread the corn out on a cookie sheet and freeze it then after it is frozen you can pack it into your chosen container.  This makes it separate into smaller pieces rather than a frozen block.

It's not much work, and think of all that yummy fresh corn this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment